Coming to terms

In “A Song for a Barbarian Reed Pipe”, Hong Kingston recounts the time that she finally stood up to her mother and said the things that had bothered her so much about her mother, her family and the entire Chinese culture that seemed so outdated o compared to the Western society that she stepped into every day.  Throughout the entire memoir, I felt  like Hong Kingston, as experienced as she is, referred to Chinese culture and Asian-American culture in general with an almost naive tone as if she had never come to grips with herself and who she was.  But the final argument that she had with her mother made me realize just how much she had learned just by trying to defy a culture that she had believed was boxing her in, when its only real intention was to protect her as it knew best.  Hong Kingston not only did an amazing job in embodying the feelings of the argument with her mother, but also seemed to speak for any other Asian-American child that had confronted their parents about the culture clash that they faced.  I know for me at least, Hong Kingston’s realization of the harshness of the real world without her mother’s brand of protection seemed to hit right on home.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.